Four examples of this C12 exist: two in Durham and two from Brougham. Of the four, this is the most perfect. The original graced the North door of Durham Cathedral, from 1172 to 1977, when it was removed to the safety of the Cathedral Treasury and replaced by a replica, cast by the British Museum. Both the Durham rings were bronze. Sanctuary, in the cathedral, was assured to any fugitive who could grasp the ring.